[asterisk-dev] How to get to 10.000 open calls

Mark Michelson mmichelson at digium.com
Wed Apr 22 02:30:45 CDT 2009

Venefax wrote:

> I am using 1.6.2 and directrtp=yes. I need to scale to 10.000 open
> calls on a box with 1288 GB or RAM and 16 Cores. Is there any
> modification to the source code that would be obvious, any
> bottlenecks? I will never to transcoding and the media should,
> theoretically, flow outside. I have 15 IP addresses already configured
> in the same box, on two different nics, to spread the interrupts. Is
> this a dream or will this work with some tweaking?
>

> F. Alves

If you can manage to do this, I think John Todd would owe you a steak
dinner:

http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-dev/2009-February/036736.html
http://blogs.digium.com/2009/02/18/s-prize/

Okay, so actually that offer was for 10,000 call legs with media flowing
through Asterisk, but the idea here is still that you are pushing beyond
the limits of what can be reasonably expected on an Asterisk
installation. I agree with Alex here. Dream.

Also, did I mention that this really isn't a question suitable for the
-dev list? You'd probably get some great responses on the -users list,
including some anecdotes regarding attempts to set up large amounts of
simultaneous calls and tweaks that allow for higher call volume (though
probably nowhere near 10000 simultaneous calls).

Mark Michelson