[asterisk-dev] GUI Development Framework & Asterisk...

bkruse bkruse at digium.com
Tue Sep 23 13:10:40 CDT 2008

Darren Schreiber wrote:
> Hello,
>     Hopefully this note is not misplaced (asterisk-gui and asterisknow
> looked more like user help forums)...
>
>     I am working on a project called TCAPI to create a layered
> approach to developering GUIs for telephony applications in a
> rapid-development style framework. The framework assists in displaying
> UI components and generating configuration files for various
> soft-switches. I think I am going to try and make this project work
> with Asterisk.
>
>     I am wondering what the interest in this idea might be?  The idea
> behind the architecture is here:
> http://www.tcapi.org/index.php?title=Developer:Overview
>
>     Some code is written but it's still very much a work in progress.
> There is not-yet released code to make the framework function with
> DoJo, YUI, etc. and also some comet-based modules for conferencing and
> channel monitoring in real-time via the web. More to come, of course
> :-) The concepts are not that different from FreePBX's modularity, but
> probably more layered in the approach.
>
>     I'm also at AstriCon if anyone is also there and interested in
> discussing this in-person.
>
>     Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I think this would be great, anything that promotes Asterisk is great.

I would still, however, look into the current Asterisk-gui to see what
interfaces are already available
and the library in javascript that is already used. You can do raw
config file management and have an
inbuilt http server in Asterisk (in which you can do manager-over-http).

If you are talking about possibly doing a server-side implementation
(php/rails/anything except javascript)
these libraries and code that is already in place in the Asterisk-gui
can still help.

Information on obtaining this source here:
http://asterisknow.org/install-related

The inbuilt functions and way we interact with Asterisk could save you a
lot of time :)

Best of luck,

-bk