[asterisk-dev] Storing SIP Registrations in a Database

Stephen Davies stephen.l.davies at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 04:48:23 CDT 2008

2008/9/3 Daniel Watkins <daniel.watkins at credativ.co.uk>

> Unfortunately, when this switchover occurs, all the clients lose their
> registrations as the registration details are stored solely in memory on
> the primary server.  It then takes some time for the clients to
> reconnect to the secondary server, during which time they are unusable.

Hi,

Our sites mostly use SNOM phones.

Our failover strategy is to have a virtual address which moves from the
primary to the backup server.
We then use the "send_arp" program to send a promiscious ARP announcing the
new MAC address
for the virtual address.

We discovered that the SNOM phones all re-register when they see this ARP.
 How handy is that?

In tests, we failover the address to the backup box and you can immediately
continue with making and receiving calls.

Steve