[asterisk-dev] Some wild thoughts about logging

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Tue Sep 9 08:22:41 CDT 2008

Johan Wilfer wrote:
> What if we could tie (almost) every event that got logged to the specific
> call id? Sip history dump, notice's, whatever. Then you could dump it
> into a database, and when
> the customer calls again you could easily find the relevant information
> from the log. As of now I spend some
> amount of time in my /var/asterisk/logs/ comparing call numbers and try
> to understand what my customer did.
>
> Also - you could easily delete info that is too old to be saved and so on.
>
> What do you think? Let's do some brainstorming..
> Is this possible and how can it be implemented?

This would absolutely be useful, and has been discussed a number of
times.  The first step is a _huge_ one, and that is to add an argument
to all of the calls to ast_log and ast_verbose to include the relevant
ast_channel if there is one.  Then, logging mechanisms could take
advantage of having access to channel data.

I guess we could make the API changes in trunk, and then have the mass
conversion be a janitor project ...

--
Russell Bryant
Senior Software Engineer