[asterisk-dev] [asterisk-users] SIP REGISTER

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Thu Oct 30 06:51:22 CDT 2008

By default, the interval at which the qualify pings are sent is, indeed
quite low.

There is no consequence to disabling it except for the obvious
implication that Asterisk then has no way way of knowing if the peer is
dead without first trying to reach it, every time and with every request.

But there are disadvantages to using 'qualify' for that purpose, too;
sometimes there is arbitrary latency in the network that can cause peers
to become marked 'Unavailable' rather whimsically.

The answer is basically: do whatever you want.  No "best practices" here.

Personally, I'd recommend a qualify setting like 2000.