[asterisk-dev] Asterisk Voicemail Test Results

Vikas Chander vikas.chander at rancoretech.com
Fri Oct 24 01:53:13 CDT 2008

Hello Friends,

Here we wish to share our test results with the community.

Test Objective: Asterisk load testing for voicemail depositing and voicemail
retrieval.

Asterisk version:  1.4.21.2

OS: RHEL kernel 2.6.18-53.el5

Test H/W: i686: AMD Athlon 64 X 2 Dual Core Processor at 2.1 GHz, with 1 GB
RAM

Test tool: SIPP with pcap was used for generating pcma RTP traffic.

And we recorded following observations for Voicemail Retrieval:-

Simultaneous Calls

Peak CPU Load (%)

Average CPU load (%)

Memory usage (in MB)

Comments

Repeat

50

8

5

17

All calls successful

5

100

28

18

24

All calls successful

6

125

48

32

27

All calls successful

5

150

49

39

33

All calls successful

10

175

58

48

37

All calls successful

6

200

64

55

41

Upto 5 calls failed twice

10

225

78

56

41

Upto 29 calls failed frequently

6

The call duration was of 50 seconds each for above table.

And we recorded following observations for Voicemail message Depositing :-

Simultaneous Calls

Peak CPU Load (%)

Average CPU load (%)

Memory usage (in MB)

Comments

Repeat

50

43

32

19

All calls successful

6

100

69

55

32

All calls successful

6

125

85

66

39

10 messages lost thrice

10

130

66

55

41

Up to 8 calls failed frequently

6

The call duration was of 25 seconds each for above table.

We are further exploring and working to increase these figures.

Hopefully we'll return back soon with much improved results.

Anyone with similar interest is invited to share the results and ideas!

Best regards,

Vikas, Shalu