[asterisk-dev] [asterisk-commits] mattf: trunk r150640 - in /trunk: channels/ configs/

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Mon Oct 20 14:46:33 CDT 2008

Matthew Fredrickson wrote:

> Sorry, I think I misunderstood your thoughts.  We can certainly add
> additional checks for the new API calls, but (and I'm seeking some
> outside thoughts here), perhaps it might be interesting to think about
> mandating a minimum version of libpri here (1.4.x) for trunk/1.6.x
> version of Asterisk (whatever this version of trunk turns into).
>
> The reason I ask is that some of these changes are going to require not
> just #if's but also doing the #else as well (since there's a new API to
> replace an old one).  To keep spaghettification to a minimum, it would
> be nice to not have to do this.  We could also get rid of a number of
> other #if HAVE_ and #ifdef PRI_... statements as well by requiring the
> minimum version number, leaving only the #if HAVE_ to whatever is the
> most recent API addition to libpri.  Any thoughts?

To be honest, I'd really rather not. Users upgrading from 1.6.2 to 1.6.5
should not be forced to upgrade libpri unless they want to use new
features that require that version (which they would learn by reading
the CHANGES file, presumably). We've had this situation in the past, and
it annoyed people and also exposed them to bugs that had been introduced
in later versions with no benefit to them.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
Director of Software Technologies