[asterisk-dev] AstriDevCon - PineMango

Brian Degenhardt bmd at digium.com
Thu Oct 9 12:03:14 CDT 2008

Nir Simionovich wrote:
> I know for fact that carriers in Israel hadn't adopted Asterisk fully
> due to its lack of RADIUS/DIAMETER support.

Before we can begin on this project, we need to change the way we think
about Asterisk.  Asterisk doesn't have perl, python, ruby, .Net, ftp,
smtp, POP3, pam, firefox, MS Word, Outlook, Exchange, SalesForce.com,
SugarCRM, 37signals, Google Docs, Excel, or Facebook support either.

There's two ways to fix this:

1) Fire up vi and write it all in C as a module for Asterisk.  This has
been the traditional approach, and the various features in Asterisk done
this way are testaments to the efforts and vitality of the community.  I
just happen to believe it's the wrong way to do it.

2) Give Asterisk a flexible programming API such that this functionality
can be done outside of Asterisk in a development framework.  Apache +
Rails is a great example of this.  Does Rails diminish the importance of
Apache?  It does a bit, but imagine how diminished Apache would be if
you couldn't use Rails with it because it didn't expose enough of an API.

Now, this doesn't mean that the #1 approach is going away.  Apache still
has mod_auth_radius.  All I'm asking for is the *ability* to do it via
#2, which doesn't exist in Asterisk today.

cheers
-bmd