[asterisk-dev] Asterisk on Windows (Subsystem for UNIX)

Oron Peled oron.peled at xorcom.com
Mon Oct 6 01:18:45 CDT 2008

On Monday, 6 בOctober 2008, David Backeberg wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 4:44 PM, Alex Dubinsky <adubinsky457 at gmail.com>
wrote:
> > I'm trying to compile asterisk 1.4.22 on Win2k8's Subsystem for UNIX
> > Applications.
> > ... and finally got stuck on:
> > use_ast_mutex_t_instead_of_pthread_mutex_t
>
> This doesn't sound like an Asterisk-dev question. The real question is
> why you would take *nix code and try to run it on a non-*nix OS, which
> makes it an asterisk-users question.

I beg to differ. While I do agree to your other comments about the
poor time investment, David asked a code question which belongs here (IMO).

About the original question -- just a hunch:
 * Note the name of the missing typedef
  (use_ast_mutex_t_instead_of_pthread_mutex_t)
 * I suspect it is generated (e.g: by preprocessor macros,
   #ifdef's etc.) in order to *fail* the compilation with
   a (somewhat) meaningfull message.
 * If I'm correct (I didn't look at the code), than you wouldn't
   find any such typedef. Instead, you should look at the configuration
   stage and see if you can select implementation based on some
   ast_mutex_t instead of the pthread_mutex_t implementation.

Sorry I can't help you more, but I don't do Windows ;-)

> If you really can't be persuaded to not run linux on top of Windows,
> at least try CygWin or VMWare Server with a full linux distro instead.
> CygWin provides proper *nix compatible library support. If you aren't
> familiar with CygWin, google it.
>
> > res_features.c:157: error: `use_ast_mutex_t_instead_of_pthread_mutex_t'
> > undeclared here (not in a function)
> >
> > I found the stuff about #include <stdio.h> but it didn't help. What
confuses
> > me is where does the symbol even come from? Is there some guard around it?
>
> MS is almost definitely providing corrupt or incomplete library sets.
> You've already put more time into this problem than it deserves.
> Although it will be amusing the day I see a MS service pack or patch
> Tuesday release to update Unix libraries ;)

Where will Microsoft try to drag you today?
Do you really want to go there?