[asterisk-dev] [Code Review] Correctast_api_register/unregister_multiple() API calls

mike at travel-manager.co.uk mike at travel-manager.co.uk
Mon Nov 17 03:27:47 CST 2008

My name is mike sadler
can you tell me if there is a way to get an caller id on a hosted system.
I posted a question a week ago but have not had any replies.

We run a hosted application called Travel Manager www.gotravel-manager.com and are working with a pilot group of community transport associations one of their problems is their clients are not computer users so to book them on a journey they phone a call centre, the call centres are not coping with the work well. they use our software because we can aggregate all the authorities reports.
We are trying to find a way of using CID to bring up a customers file, so bookings for clients are quick & fault free.

Mike

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

> Just to clarify this point: asterisk 1.6.x is never guaranteed to remain
> compatible (API/ABI) to 1.6.(x-1), right?
>
> And in practice, chances are that it won't be?

Actually, our plan is for it to be API compatible as long as it can
possibly be maintained. This will require making new versions of
existing published API calls when changes are mandated, something we
never did with previous release branches (we just changed them).

ABI compatibility will probably not be achievable in some areas;
specifically those areas where the 'API' consists of direct structure
access like 'struct ast_channel'. In spite of this, we will make a
reasonable effort to maintain ABI compatibility as well.

In some very specific cases (like the one I've posted the review request
for), we may choose to change an API that was added very recently if it
is clearly deficient (of course, it would be better for deficient APIs
to never become part of a release, but mistakes will happen). If this
happens, we won't do it unless we are fairly comfortable that the number
of users of the new API is small , which will mean it will have to have
been added within the past point release or two, at most.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
Director of Software Technologies