[asterisk-dev] CDR Problem Proposals

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Fri Nov 14 15:50:03 CST 2008

Steve Murphy <murf at digium.com> writes:

> Well, it made perfect sense to me when I started, but in effect,
> I ended up painting myself into a corner, generating a lot of
> regressions -- in short-- the nightmare of any software developer.
> If you take the *right* path, things should get easier; options
> get broader, unexpected cases are already covered, etc. etc.
> Well, this way isn't presenting any such.

Perhaps the problem is that CDR's the way they are now can represent
two legs of a call. This will break down whenever more than 2 legs are
involved, either at one time or in sequence.

Would something more like the queue logs be easier to write? They
would obviously be a lot more work for the billing system to parse,
but that work isn't as time critical and so you can throw more cpu
resources at the problem. Bonus: writing the complicated code is
someone else's problem...

/Benny