[asterisk-dev] Reverse Inheritance

Trevor Peirce tpeirce at digitalcon.ca
Mon Nov 10 23:07:19 CST 2008

John Todd wrote:
> These symbols seem fine, but in the long view it is perhaps the case
> that the "_" character was incorrect as the leading indicator for
> forward inheritance.  It seems, logically, that "+" and "++" should
> represent forward and infinite forward inheritance, and "-" and "--"
> should indicate reverse and infinite reverse inheritance.   We may be
> too far out of the gate for this type of serious change (or shift) to
> be practical, and there may be other syntactical/parsing reasons why
> what I think is reasonable is not a practical nomenclature.

I would strongly advise against this as it starts to resemble math too
much and could misleading. As an alternative I suggest appending _ to
the variable name in contrast to prepending.

Forward inheritance: _variable or __variable
Reverse inheritance: variable_ or variable__

A memory technique that can be associated with this is if the variable
name is after the _ mark, it will go to channels created after. If the
variable name is before the _ mark, it will go to the channels created
before.

Regards,
Trevor Peirce

--
Does your Canadian VoIP service need CRTC-compliant 9-1-1 service?  Stop by
http://www.digitalcon.ca/voip9-1-1/ today to find out how!