[asterisk-dev] Translation XML docs to other languages

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Fri Nov 7 02:14:36 CST 2008

On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 11:14:17AM +0600, Igor Goncharovsky wrote:
> Hi, All!
>
> Sorry for previous incomplete mail, it is all because cold. Now, when XML
> doc committed to trunk we may think here, in Russia, how to translate this
> documentation into language of Pushkin and Tolstoy. Is there known best
> practice of make translation in other open source projects?
>
> A this moment we have such idea:
> 1) Every day make SVN update of asterisk branches, then 'make documentation'
> and update XML docs in our SVN
> 2) If any documentation file changes or created - create new ticket in Trac
> 3) While patch with documentation update enough big, post it on Mantis to
> include in main SVN

With gettext, if the original text changes, the translated string is
marked as "fuzzy" and is generally not to be used until the translator
fixes it.

Another thing to note: with most systems, translation fixes are accepted
even at code freeze. Rationale: before the code freee, the translated
text is a moving target.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com