[asterisk-dev] menuselect improvement in Asterisk SVN trunk

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed Nov 5 08:10:09 CST 2008

I have just finished making some menuselect changes I've been working on
for a few days. There were a few changes:

1) The Asterisk configure script, just before exiting, now reads the
data in the build_tools/menuselect-deps file and uses it to combine the
'previous' state of each dependency with the current state, and outputs
back to that file as before (the two values for each dependency are
separated by a colon character). This has not been tested on any shells
other than bash that I know of, so it would be good to get some test
reports from other shell users... I tried to write it in portable sh
syntax, but could easily have broken it :-)

2) The Asterisk configure script now sets the
build_tools/menuselect-deps value for any disabled (--without-foo)
dependency to -1 instead of 0 (which is the value for 'not found'); this
allows menuselect to make output decisions based on whether the user
intentionally disabled a dependency or it was just not found.

3) menuselect, when run with --check-deps as the top-level Makefile
does, checks for any dependencies that have 'gone missing', and reports
them, including the list of modules that will no longer be built, and
any modules that would have their functionality affected because they
'use' the dependency but do not require it.

All of this was prompted by the recent change to libpri; when I built
Asterisk after an 'svn update', chan_dahdi *silently* was built without
PRI support, because my installed libpri was not the required version
even though it was previously.

These changes are only present in Asterisk trunk and menuselect trunk
(and thus are scheduled for Asterisk 1.6.2); if the community deems them
worthwhile they could be backported to other branches as well without
too much pain.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
Director of Software Technologies