[asterisk-dev] Asterisk 1.6 Realtime Database must use ', ' not '|' in appdata field?

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Thu May 29 11:58:26 CDT 2008

Steve Totaro wrote:
> It sounds like a workable work around (compromise) but still not
> optimal in the long run.  If nothing is changed, we will be revisiting
> this same thing with a different app or functionality in the near
> future.
>
> I still think that the depreciation route between majore versions is
> the best way to go.  Then nothing "breaks" unexpectedly, unless the
> User/Admin does not heed the depreciation warnings, therefore it is
> their fault.
>
> I think this should be Asterisk/Digiums's SOP for major functionality
> changes for development.

I completely agree with you, and it is the policy that we have stuck with pretty
well in the past.

In this case, I'm slightly torn.  In my _mind_, the pipe as a separator has been
deprecated for a long time.  :)  However, I can't find anything that shows that
we ever clearly deprecated that.

So, in that case, for Asterisk 1.6, I think the default behavior has got to be
that the | is still supported.  However, for those that want cleaner and more
straight forward parsing, especially with regards to escaping, then an option
should be available to disable '|' support, and have ',' as the single supported
delimiter.

Deprecation warnings should be printed at startup, unless the option is enabled
to only support ','.

Then, in the future, we can consider completely removing '|' support, after
people are given the standard time period to deal with the change.

--
Russell Bryant
Senior Software Engineer