[asterisk-dev] Asterisk 1.6 Realtime Database must use ', ' not '|' in appdata field?

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Thu May 29 02:43:25 CDT 2008

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 7:20 PM, Russell Bryant <russell at digium.com> wrote:

> On May 28, 2008, at 5:24 PM, Steve Totaro wrote:
>> To me the "Magic Balance" is quite simple.
>>
>> I say stick to the method of change that has been done and accepted
>> widely by everyone, users and developers.
>>
>> Throw warnings of deprecation in 1.6 and then make the full change
>> in 1.8.
>>
>> Everyone has been following that since the beginning and happily
>> discuss on the Users list how to go about it with no real complaining.
>>
>> Why make radical changes without a phase in period?
>>
>> "It is Just That Simple" (tm)
>
> I certainly had the understanding that the comma was the preferred
> delimiter for a long time.  However, it is quite possible, and even
> likely that it was not documented well enough, or deprecated in an
> obvious enough way in 1.2 or 1.4.
>
> If that is the case, I wonder if we could add a compatibility mode for
> all argument processing, in the same spirit that Tilghman added the
> option for realtime extensions.  I don't think that it would be _too_
> hard to implement.
>
> Furthermore, I would say have the compatibility mode enabled by
> default.  However, I would set the option to turn it off in the sample
> configuration, so that any new installations have it off with the
> default set of configuration.
>
> Is that a reasonable compromise?
>
> --
> Russell Bryant
> Senior Software Engineer
> Open Source Team Lead
> Digium, Inc.

It sounds like a workable work around (compromise) but still not
optimal in the long run.  If nothing is changed, we will be revisiting
this same thing with a different app or functionality in the near
future.

I still think that the depreciation route between majore versions is
the best way to go.  Then nothing "breaks" unexpectedly, unless the
User/Admin does not heed the depreciation warnings, therefore it is
their fault.

I think this should be Asterisk/Digiums's SOP for major functionality
changes for development.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro