[asterisk-dev] Asterisk 1.6 Realtime Database must use ', ' not '|' in appdata field?

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Wed May 28 18:20:11 CDT 2008

On May 28, 2008, at 5:24 PM, Steve Totaro wrote:
> To me the "Magic Balance" is quite simple.
>
> I say stick to the method of change that has been done and accepted
> widely by everyone, users and developers.
>
> Throw warnings of deprecation in 1.6 and then make the full change
> in 1.8.
>
> Everyone has been following that since the beginning and happily
> discuss on the Users list how to go about it with no real complaining.
>
> Why make radical changes without a phase in period?
>
> "It is Just That Simple" (tm)

I certainly had the understanding that the comma was the preferred
delimiter for a long time.  However, it is quite possible, and even
likely that it was not documented well enough, or deprecated in an
obvious enough way in 1.2 or 1.4.

If that is the case, I wonder if we could add a compatibility mode for
all argument processing, in the same spirit that Tilghman added the
option for realtime extensions.  I don't think that it would be _too_
hard to implement.

Furthermore, I would say have the compatibility mode enabled by
default.  However, I would set the option to turn it off in the sample
configuration, so that any new installations have it off with the
default set of configuration.

Is that a reasonable compromise?

--
Russell Bryant