[asterisk-dev] Asterisk 1.6 Realtime Database must use ', ' not '|' in appdata field?

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Wed May 28 17:24:25 CDT 2008

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 4:17 PM, Russell Bryant <russell at digium.com> wrote:

> Some people hate illogical parsing and escaping rules.  Some people hold
> compatibility above all else, no matter how bad the situation is from a
> technical point of view.  With all changes, we have to find the magic balance
> that keeps the majority happy, because without keeping a community of happy
> users, we have no reason to be here.
>
> --
> Russell Bryant
> Senior Software Engineer
> Open Source Team Lead
> Digium, Inc.

To me the "Magic Balance" is quite simple.

I say stick to the method of change that has been done and accepted
widely by everyone, users and developers.

Throw warnings of deprecation in 1.6 and then make the full change in 1.8.

Everyone has been following that since the beginning and happily
discuss on the Users list how to go about it with no real complaining.

Why make radical changes without a phase in period?

"It is Just That Simple" (tm)

Thanks,
Steve Totaro