[asterisk-dev] Asterisk 1.6 Realtime Database must use ', ' not '|'

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Fri May 23 18:37:48 CDT 2008

"Ward Mundy" <wardmundy at gmail.com> writes:

> This is another example of how something that may appear to developers to
> be trivial has enormous negative consequences to those actually using
> Asterisk to do 'real work.' This one change breaks dialplan code for every
> AGI function call. For organizations with elaborate custom dialplans, this
> is expensive to fix particularly if some outside company (that's no longer
> around) wrote their dialplans. What is so difficult about supporting BOTH
> the comma and vertical bar as delimiters? The argument always has been
> that some of these changes were necessary to improve the performance of
> Asterisk. Not sure that holds water this time around.

The parsing of extensions.conf is quite complicated (or I'm too stupid
for it, perhaps, but there must be other stupid people in the world
apart from me.) Having two separators to look out for is
unnecessary.

The only thing I wish is that there was a good validation tool for
extensions.conf, so errors were caught early rather than a month later
when a little-used feature in the dial plan breaks. (Usually the
holiday function, so you get calls from unhappy customers when you're
trying to be on vacation.)

Anyway, for this particular change the validation tool is fgrep \|
/etc/asterisk/extensions.conf (plus the configuration files it
includes, if any.) That is reasonably easy to handle.

/Benny