[asterisk-dev] Asterisk 1.6 Realtime Database must use ', ' not '|' in appdata field?

Will nyphbl8d at gmail.com
Fri May 23 10:29:56 CDT 2008

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 10:16 AM, Tilghman Lesher
<tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com> wrote:
> On Friday 23 May 2008 10:00:51 Ward Mundy wrote:
>> > Why don't you suggest a patch, and we'll look at it the same way we look
>> > at any other patch -- on its merits?
>>
>> That's the kind of attitude that led to our Nerd Vittles articles in the
>> first place. Jared' s response was that we needed to try and participate in
>> the process... which we are doing. Let me (once again) propose a guideline
>> that worked for me for the better part of 30 years in the software
>> development business: "You break it, you fix it. I break, I fix it."  It
>> doesn't make a whole lot of sense for all of us to rummage through Digium's
>> code try to fix stuff that you broke. Sorry.
>
> It's not broken, so I'm not going to fix it.  Sorry.

That was a little uncalled for on both sides.  The issue here is that
people that have invested time and money expect to be able to jump
major point releases with no configuration changes.  That is an
unreasonable stance to take.  This change has been a long time coming
because the community was waiting for people to change over to the new
method.  Using | as a delimiter has been deprecated for most, if not
all, of the life of the 1.4 branch.  Blaming Digium for the things
that go wrong isn't going to help you, especially when you don't pay
attention to PLANNED changes.  This is headed toward a flame war that
I hope we can avoid.

Will