[asterisk-dev] H323 64 bit Nightmare

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Thu May 22 14:33:32 CDT 2008

Maxim Sobolev wrote:

> In fact the opposite
> is true - as long as you use modern development environment (i.e. modern
> compiler, modern binutils, modern system libs) the risk of running into
> some kind of issue with popular applications is pretty slim.

I wholeheartedly concur, as regards "popular applications."

The problem strikes the moment you try to use some unpopular
applications that aren't officially distro-supported, require extensive
from-source compilation and installation, or are released as dynamically
linked binary packages.

Ever tried to get certain flavours of Oracle to work on 64-bit?  It
requires a compat version of legacy libstdc++ that does not exist on
Gentoo or Redhat-derived distros, and I didn't get a chance to try it
with any others before the client gave up and said, no, we're going back
to 32-bit.  Good decision, I think.

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems