[asterisk-dev] Strange characters in 1.4.20

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Wed May 21 10:54:16 CDT 2008

On Wednesday 21 May 2008 10:35:02 John Lange wrote:
> I don't believe I did anything different on this install that I haven't
> done a hundred times before.
>
> Just download the sources and make install across the board (Asterisk,
> libpri, and zaptel).
>
> I'm doing another build later today on a different server, I'll let you
> know if I see the same thing.

Yes, but we've changed the protocol slightly in the communication between
the main Asterisk daemon and remote consoles, to include a preamble on all
verbose messages.  The main reason for doing this was to fix
the "asterisk -rx 'command'" output, such that we weren't outputting verbose
information to the console when all you needed was the output to some command.
On some very busy Asterisk systems, this command would not even disconnect
properly.

If you're using an older remote console version, either because you're running
it from some other location or because you did not restart the remote console
after you installed and restarted Asterisk (such as with the -Rc remote
console option), then you have version skew between the remote console and
what is actually running as the daemon.

The other possibility is that you've written your own remote console, which
would mean that you need to adjust it for this slight change in communication
protocol.

--
Tilghman