[asterisk-dev] Zaptel project being renamed to DAHDI

Julien Goodwin asterisk-lists at studio442.com.au
Tue May 20 23:30:20 CDT 2008

On 20/05/08 21:53, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> James Finstrom wrote:
>
>> To another subject in this topic one thing that has kept zaptel out of the kernel tree has been the exact issue that has lead th the new name. So with this remedied can we expect to see dahdi hit the kernel?
>
> Actually, that's not the primary reason that Zaptel has not been pushed
> for including in the kernel tree. The reason is that we still want
> dual-license control over the code in Zaptel/DAHDI, and we can't easily
> maintain that control if the code is managed in a tree we don't own.

*blink*

You don't *have* dual-license control over Zaptel. It's a kernel module
*developed* for linux. One of the things the kernel devs generally agree
upon is that regardless of the situation for proprietary modules in
general, those developed *for* linux (as opposed to ported to) *must* be
GPL. Were you to try to actually enforce that people like Greg
Kroah-Hartman and Harold Welte will come down on you very hard.

I suggest you review:
http://kerneltrap.org/node/1735 -- Linus' comment the give the above
http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/ols_2006_keynote.html -- "Closed source
kernel modules are illegal"