[asterisk-dev] Reintroduce deprecated applications

Sherwood McGowan sherwood.mcgowan at gmail.com
Thu May 15 13:56:42 CDT 2008

Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> On Monday 12 May 2008 19:16:13 Peter Beckman wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 12 May 2008, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
>>
>>> To deal with the amount of possible extra applications floating around, I
>>> am proposing setting up these applications so that they are by default
>>> unselected for building, but may be reenabled very easily via the
>>> menuselect system. Note that menuselect allows you to set up a
>>> configuration file in your home directory, which would allow you to save
>>> your preferences as to which applications will be automatically selected
>>> when you download a new release and install.
>>>
>>   Exactly what applications are being considered for reprecation?
>>

> Every application which was deprecated (you'll find a single note per
> restart in your Asterisk logs on the first use of each as to the fact that
> it was deprecated) in 1.2 and subsequently removed prior to the release
> of 1.4, and also applications that are deprecated in 1.4 and removed prior
> to the beta release of 1.6 are all candidates for reinstatement, albeit with
> the note that new features will not be permitted.
>
> Also, every application that is deprecated will contain a note within its help
> text as to the new recommended way of performing the task that the
> application implements (to encourage continued migration).

While I am not a developer, I do lurk on the list and occasionally work
with testing bug fixes and whatnot. That said, I'd like to offer my
agreement with your idea. Even though I typically just start using the
new apps/functions, I can see why some people would be upset by the
removal of something they are used to using.

Sherwood McGowan