[asterisk-dev] Reintroduce deprecated applications

Dmitry Andrianov dimas at dataart.com
Tue May 13 00:56:09 CDT 2008

Well, it is clear I'm going to be a minority on this subject but to me keeping old apps is a bad idea.

1. There will be a lot of work maintaining these. Next time you introduce some "global" change like new FOO API which should be used instead of BAR API, you will have update 2x applications. As time goes, you will be updating more and more applications which you keep for a tiny share of users.

2.Chances some old app is not properly updated with some major/API change are increased (because these are excluded from build by default). Developers needs to be careful to make sure they "turn on" the ancient apps to make sure it builds Ok. They will also need spend extra time testing these.

To me, if there are newer and better methods of doing something, it should be Ok to deprecate the old one. I believe the current approach of doing this in Asterisk is really good. I'm talking about deprecating functionality in one release and removing in the next one. This gives users at least 2 years to update.

I'm sure that every major release brings changes that will require me to update the dialplan, sometimes seriously. And by the way, other config wiles may need to be revised too. You cannot avoid that. And couple of deprecated apps would just add little changes.

What I could not understand is why application does not issue deprecation warning every time it is used? People won't notice single warning in on the console. But when the warning repeats, they may pay attention long before the application disappears.

Just my $0.02

Regards,
Dmitry Andrianov