[asterisk-dev] Paging intercom extensions

Gideon Spreeth gideon at dcomt.com
Tue May 13 10:05:19 CDT 2008

We developed an application (app_esm400.so) that provides asterisk support
for our digital intercom system. This provides dialplan functions to call a
specific intercom, or a group of intercoms (setup outside of dialplan).

Here are 2 extensions to show the functions in dialplan:

exten => 1888,1,Answer
exten =>
1888,2,Read(dxsw_extension|/var/lib/asterisk/sounds/vm-extension|5|)
exten => 1888,3,Playback(privacy-thankyou)
exten => 1888,n,ESM4000_Call(${dxsw_extension})
exten => 1888,n,Hangup

exten => 9,1,Answer
exten => 9,2,Read(dxsw_extension|/var/lib/asterisk/sounds/vm-extension|4|)
exten => 9,3,Playback(privacy-thankyou)
exten => 9,n,ESM4000_AllPage(${dxsw_extension})
exten => 9,n,Hangup

There will be a multitude of interconnected servers that each has intercoms
and or SIP phones connected.  We have a test setup that connects servers
with DUNDi and this seems to work fine.

The problem comes when we want to make an intercom group page that includes
AllPage extensions on more that one server.  The page function does not seem
like a viable option as you cannot provide it with extension numbers to
dial.

Does anyone have an idea how to make such a group call possible?
Because of the scale of the system and the idea of setting up groups
dynamically, it is not feasible to set up a large enough number of
extensions. The idea is to call the all page extension with a softphone that
can pass the group numbers to it.

Any help or ideas will be much appreciated

Gideon Spreeth
DCOM network tech