[asterisk-dev] Reintroduce deprecated applications

Dmitry Andrianov dimas at dataart.com
Tue May 13 09:04:31 CDT 2008

Ron,
While I agree with you that upgrade script could be very useful, I do not really see how one can make such a script. For many changes you have nothing to do but to report user "Sorry, no way, you have to rewrite this" or "Pay attention to this piece of dialplan - we have somehow changed the application". So still lots of manual editing. Take a look at 1.4's UPGRADE.txt file. How many of these can be automated?

Also keep in mind there are more languages to express dialplan - like AEL or LUA. So you will need to create upgrade script for each of them. It going to be a nightmare.

And last but not least, there are changes which do not related to dialplan but still affect Asterisk behavior significantly. So I'm not sure how these can be handled with upgrade script.

My personal opinion is that any upgrade from 1.2 to 1.4 is a lot of manual work which you cannot avoid anyway. And you must be prepared - you rolling it out in test environment first. It is one time job anyway - you are not going to upgrade your system every day. What Asterisk can do to help you is to provide you a simple regexp-based script which just indicates you places in your dialplan / config which will definitely need attention (just indicating, not changing anything). I would also make every deprecated option/application issue a warning on each use (as opposed to first use). And also, I would color-coded "core show application ABC" and stuff like that to make sure the fact that app is deprecated is really clearly visible.

I would possibly also make deprecated apps stay one version longer before being killed completely. So something deprecated in 1.2 only goes away in 1.6. Maybe.

But I honestly do not believe that keeping couple of old apps is going to change someone's upgrade time considerably. Taking into account number of other changes UPGRADE.txt file - no.. do not believe it.

Regards,
Dmitry Andrianov