[asterisk-dev] Reintroduce deprecated applications

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Tue May 13 00:28:34 CDT 2008

On Monday 12 May 2008 18:47:21 Don Kelly wrote:
> I've been lurking on the developers list for a while, thinking that someday
> I might add something to Asterisk.
>
> Your suggestion that dialplan applications survive forever is great, and
> suggesting that bug and security fixes be provided is more than generous
> (maybe more than sensible).
>
> A couple things:
>
> I think that some of this should be exposed to the user list to see what
> they have to say.

That may be appropriate eventually, but I'm principally interested in hearing
any concerns from the other community developers, first.

> More importantly, you need some sort of feedback to see who's using these
> deprecated features. It's unreasonable to think that a couple dozen
> developers are going to be implementing and testing bug/security fixes for
> some obscure feature that's only used by three Asterisk entrepreneurs.

A security problem is a security problem.  Just because fewer people are using
a security-prone feature doesn't mean it doesn't deserve any less of a quick
response.  Bugs, on the other hand, get treated as we can figure them out.
The more people who are interested in getting a bug fixed, the more likely
we'll be able to discover the fix quickly.

--
Tilghman