[asterisk-dev] Hardware and CentOS tweaks.

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Thu Mar 13 13:57:16 CDT 2008

Mark Hamilton wrote:

> Currently, while testing we see that one single CPU Intel quad core dialer
> with 2GB Ram uses all 4 "CPUs" in unison. Application used to see this was
> htop.
>
> We also ran the same amount of channels on the other dialer, i.e 500, which
> was a Dual Pentium 4 Xeon 3.2Ghz, with 2GB Ram and noticed on htop that one
> CPU, the first one was being used close to 80% whereas the other 3 CPUs are
> being used in unison around 20-30%.

This is not really an Asterisk development question... in reality it
isn't even an Asterisk question, since Asterisk doesn't do anything to
influence the kernel's scheduling of processes and threads.

You should send this question to the asterisk-users list, and you should
include the system details... you neglected to include kernel versions
and configurations, for example, and CPU scheduling behavior can be
radically different between kernel versions (and recent kernels have
multiple CPU scheduling options to pick from at compile time as well).

--
Kevin P. Fleming
Director of Software Technologies