[asterisk-dev] Hardware and CentOS tweaks.

Mark Hamilton mark.h at cage151.com
Thu Mar 13 13:10:02 CDT 2008

Hello,

We're working on using Asterisk as an auto dialer involved in making
outbound calls to customers reminding them for payments, order tracking,
etc, etc.

We've used configurations such a multiple CPUs, multiple cores, and single
CPU, duocore, single CPU quadcore, etc. I would like to get help on how we
can tweak CentOS to make sure Asterisk and the OS takes advantage of these
hardwares to make sure Asterisk does not bring the load averages up, or lock
up, etc.

Currently, while testing we see that one single CPU Intel quad core dialer
with 2GB Ram uses all 4 "CPUs" in unison. Application used to see this was
htop.

We also ran the same amount of channels on the other dialer, i.e 500, which
was a Dual Pentium 4 Xeon 3.2Ghz, with 2GB Ram and noticed on htop that one
CPU, the first one was being used close to 80% whereas the other 3 CPUs are
being used in unison around 20-30%.

What do we need to know to be successful in using such multi-core dialers,
and/or what tweaks can be made on the OS level to get optimal performance?

Please also note that the amount of transcoding done is very low other than
transcoding Allison's GSM prompts which are not even used as much. Every
other voice that's used is pre-converted to G711u avoiding any transcoding
attempts as we use G711u.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Mark Hamilton.