[asterisk-dev] SMDI on 1.6.0-beta5

Bill Sofko wills at wildwood.edu
Mon Mar 10 09:45:30 CDT 2008

>However, if that isn't going to work for you, then it would be relatively
>straight forward to add a new feature to search by the message desk number
>and/or the message desk terminal.

Indeed, that won't work for me. The current setup works fine if you're
using SMDI only to manage voicemail handling. However, we utilize SMDI for
that plus auto attendant management. In the case of the latter, the call
comes through as a "D" (direct call) and the forwarding station is set to
all zeros, which doesn't allow us to map the SMDI message to the correct
channel.

As such, I'll be preparing a set of patches to the 1.6.0[betaX] res_smdi.c
code to do the following:

1) Load up a collection of msg. desk terminal to Asterisk channel mappings
that I'll put into smdi.conf. I had thought about doing the mapping in the
dial plan as you're doing with the forwarding station, but decided to go
with the config file for two reasons: a) there is a one-time configuration
that greatly simplifies the dial plan script as the channel is implicitly
specified in the function call; and, b) the msg. desk terminal mapping is
only needed if you're going to use my function (see below) to retrieve the
SMDI message -- that is, those wishing to use the module as it exists now
don't need to change anything in either the config file or their scripts.

2) Add a function call, tentatively SMDI_MSG_RETRIEVE_BY_CHANNEL(<smdi
port>[,timeout]), to retrieve the proper message for the channel as
implicitly sent to the module. Note that I'll retain your pattern of
retrieving the message, then getting its details with SMDI_MSG() in the
dial plan.

3) Put in the rest of the code needed to support the above.

I've got another project that needs to be completed this week, but am
hoping to get to this next week. We will test first and, if the tests work
well, we will move the system to production fairly quickly to verify that
all works as anticipated. As such, I will likely miss out on getting the
patches to you prior to the release of 1.6.0. That said, I am hoping this
is the type of patch in which you will have interest for inclusion in
Asterisk. If so, I am glad to contribute my patches back to the project.
Let me know if you see anything that's objectionable to you in the above.
Thanks, again.

- Will

--
Will Sofko