[asterisk-dev] SMDI on 1.6.0-beta5

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Fri Mar 7 10:36:32 CST 2008

Bill Sofko wrote:
> I had suspected that some of my understanding was incorrect and am glad to
> hear that you think things will work fine for us. I do have one question,
> though. What had been confusing me is that the SMDI_MSG_RETRIEVE()
> function's second parameter is labelled as <station>. I had initally
> thought that this indeed would be the mechanism used to lookup an SMDI
> message using the message desk terminal number, but then thought instead
> that it probably referred to the forwarding station number (though I
> couldn't figure out why one would use that in a dial plan). I didn't have
> time to sort through all the ASTOBJ* macros to figure out exactly which
> field was being searched and came, apparently, to an incorrect conclusion.
> Should this parameter perhaps be relabeled in the documentation (or are
> all the fields of the SMDI message searched)?

I can confirm that the "station" parameter that you search on is in fact the
forwarding station.  That's the search parameter that was already set up for use
in the module before I got to it, and this usage is working for the system that
this work was primarily done for.

I think the reason this works well for them is because the calls are coming in
over SIP to the number that was originally called.  So, as you can see in the
example I provided, the search key is just the extension that was called.

However, if that isn't going to work for you, then it would be relatively
straight forward to add a new feature to search by the message desk number
and/or the message desk terminal.

> Also: You're probably aware (or perhaps just missed a minor doc fix after
> a code change), but the example in the page you sent just shows one
> parameter being passed to SMDI_MSG_RETRIEVE. It looks to me like the
> <smdi_port> parameter is not optional.

Fixed, thanks!

--
Russell Bryant