[asterisk-dev] documentation to MediaWiki?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sun Mar 9 11:18:40 CDT 2008

On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 05:51:32PM +0200, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 11:34:41AM -0400, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> > I'm inclined, at this point, to toss my *next* standard suggestion
> > against the wall: given the ability to transform wikitext into docbook
> > sources, why not put the doco in a wiki, with registration required to
> > edit?
>
> The documentation is for a specific version of Asterisk. When it is
> maintianed together with Asterisk this is easy to keep. Otherwise you'll
> have to make it very simple to refer to the relevant version you're
> talking about.

This is an excellent point.  There are several ways you could handle
that, if you were inclined to use MW as an editing engine; which one
you'd pick depends on how much stuff changes from release to release.

> But then again, you might have been secretly pushing for ikiwiki all
> along :-)
>
> http://ikiwiki.info/

Not even remotely.

MediaWiki has won the wiki war.  The universe of people who know how to
use it reasonably fluidly is at least 2 orders of magnitude larger than
anything else, and maybe 4 or 5 -- I don't really like to throw around
numbers like that without proof.

I *can* tell you that the number of edits to the MythTV wiki jumped by
2 orders of magnitude after I helped move it from Moin to Media.

And it continues to this day, almost 3 years later, to get 2-300 edits
a week.  It's *insane* what the importance of leverage in this particular
problem space is.

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.