[asterisk-dev] SMDI on 1.6.0-beta5

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Thu Mar 6 19:19:04 CST 2008

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Bill Sofko wrote:
>
>> If people are interested in working on this, I am happy to provide help
>> (we can also do some testing on off hours against our production switch --
>> sadly, I don't have a test switch). Additionally, whereas we'll need this
>> for our own use, I can probably work up the necessary patches (though I
>> don't want to step on any toes) and will need to do so if the community
>> isn't interested in the functionality I described.
>
> That issue is marked closed as 'fixed' because it is fixed, but it was
> not fixed by the patches attached to the issue. In fact all the points
> you raise are valid, and have been addressed.
>
> Instead, the entire SMDI implementation was rewritten, but the
> doc/smdi.txt file has not been updated to match the new code.
>
> In summary there is no channel-driver SMDI magic any more at all;
> instead, all SMDI handling (message reading and interpretation of the
> contents) is done in the dialplan, so the dialplan can create any sort
> of mapping between incoming channels and SMDI terminal numbers it
> wishes. In addition, you can receive all SMDI message types and handle
> them the way that you wish, there is no built-in logic for what to do
> with different messages. All this work was done to support a customer
> who has a TDM-to-SIP gateway sitting in front of Asterisk, so they
> receive the incoming calls from the SMDI-equipped switch over SIP, but
> the SMDI messages arrive the normal way (over an RS-232 link). In this
> environment, the timing of the incoming calls and the SMDI messages is
> even more unpredictable than you have mentioned, so the code had to be
> changed.

Kevin already did a good job explaining what we did to rework SMDI support, so I
won't go into it any more than that.  :)

However, after looking at this, if you think of any reason that the current
interface will not work for you, please let us know.

> We'll try to get doc/smdi.txt in the trunk and 1.6.0 branches updated
> soon to show the new way of handling SMDI in the dialplan... stay tuned!

Oops.  I had some information about how to use it, but it was just sitting in my
sent email to the person that it was written for.  I have updated doc/smdi.txt
to include some info on how to access SMDI messages from the dialplan.

http://svn.digium.com/view/asterisk/trunk/doc/smdi.txt?view=markup

--
Russell Bryant
Senior Software Engineer