[asterisk-dev] SMDI on 1.6.0-beta5

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Thu Mar 6 17:00:46 CST 2008

Bill Sofko wrote:

> If people are interested in working on this, I am happy to provide help
> (we can also do some testing on off hours against our production switch --
> sadly, I don't have a test switch). Additionally, whereas we'll need this
> for our own use, I can probably work up the necessary patches (though I
> don't want to step on any toes) and will need to do so if the community
> isn't interested in the functionality I described.

That issue is marked closed as 'fixed' because it is fixed, but it was
not fixed by the patches attached to the issue. In fact all the points
you raise are valid, and have been addressed.

Instead, the entire SMDI implementation was rewritten, but the
doc/smdi.txt file has not been updated to match the new code.

In summary there is no channel-driver SMDI magic any more at all;
instead, all SMDI handling (message reading and interpretation of the
contents) is done in the dialplan, so the dialplan can create any sort
of mapping between incoming channels and SMDI terminal numbers it
wishes. In addition, you can receive all SMDI message types and handle
them the way that you wish, there is no built-in logic for what to do
with different messages. All this work was done to support a customer
who has a TDM-to-SIP gateway sitting in front of Asterisk, so they
receive the incoming calls from the SMDI-equipped switch over SIP, but
the SMDI messages arrive the normal way (over an RS-232 link). In this
environment, the timing of the incoming calls and the SMDI messages is
even more unpredictable than you have mentioned, so the code had to be
changed.

We'll try to get doc/smdi.txt in the trunk and 1.6.0 branches updated
soon to show the new way of handling SMDI in the dialplan... stay tuned!

--
Kevin P. Fleming
Director of Software Technologies