[asterisk-dev] Trunk: Transcoding causes lockups

Steve Murphy murf at digium.com
Mon Jun 16 09:32:47 CDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-16 at 03:18 -0400, Brian Capouch wrote:
> Russell Bryant wrote:
> >
> > Please try compiling with DEBUG_THREADS enabled.  Then, when it is
> > locked up, grab the "core show locks" output.  That is usually enough
> > information for us to fix the problem.  I know you said the CLI is
> > dead, but try a remote console.
> >
> > # asterisk -rx "core show locks" > locks.txt
>
> (Written from the floor after falling off my chair . .  )
>
> That fixed it!!
>
> With total reproducibility, from the same source and with all other
> options the same besides DEBUG_THREADS, the version with that build
> option enabled works just fine.  The version built without DEBUG_THREADS
> crashes every time.

This is **so** "Murphy's Law"!
More than once,  I've gone into gdb to find a segv,
only to find that it won't segv with the debugger operating.

I guess it could have been a time-sensitive lockup; using the thread
debug code changed the relative speed of the operations, and now
the two locks don't collide... or something!

Hmmm, I wonder if you could gdb attach to a running, deadlocked,
asterisk,
and get a 'thread apply all bt' and get any meaningful results....? Just
a thought...

murf