[asterisk-dev] libpri

Matthew Fredrickson creslin at digium.com
Sat Jun 14 16:29:26 CDT 2008

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Timo Teräs wrote:
>
>> Would you prefer that it was done using some ASN.1 compiler + library?
>> (which one to choose from the many? is the extra bloat and  dependency to
>> external asn1 library acceptable?). Alternative is to replace the macroes
>> with something usable.
>
> Certainly that seems like a worthwhile path, but any compiler/library
> that is chosen will need to be under a reasonable open source license.
> We've already had one situation (chan_ooh323) where the ASN.1 compiler
> used to generate the GPL-licensed C code was not itself open source,
> which makes the C source code not very manageable for users who want to
> modify it.

Thanks for the response on this issue Kevin.  Timo, I think in order to
make supplementary services easier to implement, it would help very much
to have an asn1 compiler.  When I looked a few years ago (when I started
writing SS code), there wasn't really any good options.  I think now
though, there's a tool called asn1c and it appears to be license
compatible (BSD), so that might be one option for doing supplementary
services in the future.

--
Matthew Fredrickson
Software/Firmware Engineer