[asterisk-dev] libpri

Timo Teräs timo.teras at iki.fi
Sat Jun 14 15:05:03 CDT 2008

Matthew Fredrickson wrote:
> Timo Teräs wrote:
>> Some months ago I filed bug 12357 about libpri enhancements for Q.SIG
>> connected line updates. But nothing has happened there.
>
> Hello.  First of all, I would like to apologize about the delay on
> review of your patch.  I have been spending a great deal of my time over
> the last few months getting BRI support into libpri, which has put a lot
> of additional feature review on hold.

Ok. Cool. I was just puzzled if the bugzilla libpri component was forsaken.
But I see that it's taken care of, so everything is good.

> I know that a lot of people would love to have more Q.SIG features
> working, so if you have any questions for me (I'm the maintainer of
> libpri), feel free to contact me about them.

Okay, cool. The current questions are mostly about clean-up the ASN.1 stuff.

>> For the above, I would need to do some ROSE / ASN.1 encoding and decoding
>> functions. But the current ASN.1 stuff in pri_facility.[ch] is pretty
>> awful. I'd like to clean up the macros and existing functions. So I'd like
>> to talk about it in advance to know the new framework is good for all.
>
> They're not great.  What we really need is a true ASN.1 parser/generator
> for all of that code.  The current scheme makes it non trivial to add
> new supplementary services, at least if you are not very familiar with
> ASN.1.

Would you prefer that it was done using some ASN.1 compiler + library?
(which one to choose from the many? is the extra bloat and  dependency to
external asn1 library acceptable?). Alternative is to replace the macroes
with something usable.

But the fact is that you need to know ASN.1 if you want to do SS stuff, so
I don't see it as a big problem if it was done in a similar fashion as now.

I guess deciding how to go with this is the step #1 before I start writing
anything new.

Cheers,
  Timo