[asterisk-dev] AGI starts to hang after update

Steven S. Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Jun 11 10:58:00 CDT 2008

----- "Igor A. Goncharovsky" <igi-go at ya.ru> wrote:
> Hi!
> Freddi Hansen wrote:
> > I did svn upgrade 1.4.20.1  (r117627) to 1.4-r121596.
> > r117627 was working without any problems, after the update agi
> scripts
> > ends as hanging 'defunct' processes  and the cpu load on the server
> went
> > from 0.1 to 6.
> > nothing else changed on the server.
> >
> > I did a make clean/install/ asterisk restart, still the same
> problem.
> > Anyone else seeing this?.
> >
> > OS is fedora 7, agi is perl.
> >

> Confirmed, I face it on Monday, when update test system on latest
> trunk
> (r12xxxx, don't remember exactly) but have no time not for reporting
> and
> searching root of issue.
> OS is OpenSUSE, and scripts written in PHP.

I don't have time right now to jump into the code base and look this up, but I will give you a pointer.

Defunct or zombie processes occurr because asterisk has not reaped them after they exited. This has happened before in the code base.

Granted I am running a relatively old version, SVN-branch-1.4-r47944 built by root @ xxx on a i686 running Linux on 2007-03-30 19:54:53 UTC, but right now after 10 weeks of running, I have 207 zombies out of 270 processes. Used to be worse. I know I put a patch in place at one time to try and help the situation out.

So anyways, you might want to research around the area of res_agi where the process is supposed to be reaped and see either what has changed, or what logic flaws you can find there.

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com