[asterisk-dev] Channel Event Logging (CEL) design goals and changes

Sherwood McGowan sherwood.mcgowan at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 16:15:04 CDT 2008

Grey Man wrote:
> I just had a quick thought today that I wanted to throw into the CEL pot.
>
> A shortcoming for providers using Asterisk is the lack of real-time
> call control, i.e. the ability to monitor a user's credit periodically
> throughout the call and cut off if they run out sort of thing. A
> couple of us have rolled our own solutions for this but the code
> changes didn't get accepted back into Asterisk so now we've got
> patches to maintain. If the CEL concept was able to be extended to
> take user configurable actions in response to events then it would
> solve the real-time call control shortcoming as well.
>
> An example scenario would be to be able to set up a CEL event to fire
> very 60s and a handler for that event could be set that returned an
> integer with the duration the call could be extended for.
>
> Regards,
>
> Greyman.

The way I've always worked around the lack of realtime logging of
minutes used in a call in progress is by using a "lockout" of a certain
amount of minutes, AND by making hard limits on call length and number
of concurrent calls, all stored in a database with locked minutes being
released after a call is billed, etc...

--
Sherwood McGowan
VoIP / Telecom Solutions