[asterisk-dev] Channel Event Logging (CEL) design goals and changes

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Fri Jun 6 12:53:33 CDT 2008

Brian Degenhardt wrote:
> Better real-time call control is certainly something that I'd like to
> see, but I don't think the logger is the correct place to put it.

Same here.

However, the architecture of CEL could allow for some of this to be
developed in a relatively straight forward way.

It should be easy to write a module that subscribes to channel events
that are created for CEL and turns them into manager events.  That could
help external applications.

Internally, as I just noted, you can write a module that subscribes to
channel events and react to them however you want.  I suppose the big
shortcoming is that these are asynchronous events, so that doesn't lend
itself well to taking real-time actions on channels based on events.

In that case, we need better synchronous hooks in channel processing.
However, you already knew that, because you've said that to me before.
:-)  I guess this is really another discussion for a different
architectural issue ...

--
Russell Bryant
Senior Software Engineer