[asterisk-dev] [policy] Discussion on IRC - how to make -dev more useful

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Tue Jun 3 09:29:44 CDT 2008

On Tuesday 03 June 2008 08:39:20 John Lange wrote:
> I'm not opposed to anyone trying to make improvements but my honest
> feeling is it won't work.
>
> First, this seems like a solution without a problem. The -dev list
> really is not that busy. I don't find it all that hard to scan subject
> lines and read messages that interest me while ignoring or skimming over
> ones that seem less relevant.

The problem that we're attempting to solve is the complaint that we hear that
we're not discussing design decisions openly enough.  If the -dev list is too
busy (I agree with you that I don't think so, but others may disagree), then
tagging topics may help those who are more busy to see which topics merit
their time.  It may or may not make a difference, but if this easy of a
change helps others, I'm certainly willing to start tagging my posts.

> Secondly, how are you going to enforce subject line compliance? The
> "correct" way to do this would be to split the list into separate lists
> but my experience with this is it never works. You just end up with
> people cross posting to every list because they always want their posts
> to reach the maximum number of readers.

I suspect most people are going to forget to tag their posts, and a followup
may add the tag.  But again, this change is so little and easy, I'm willing to
try it.  I certainly agree that splitting this list is too fine-grained of a
change.

--
Tilghman