[asterisk-dev] XML documentation of apps/functions/the_rest_of_the_world

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Mon Jul 14 16:10:19 CDT 2008

On Monday 14 July 2008 15:19:02 Brandon Kruse wrote:
> [...]

I think you misunderstood the concept.  Initially, in the source, the
documentation is held in some format.  It may be XML, it might be
something else.  At compile/link time, the documentation (for all languages)
will be loaded into the object file format, either embedded as strings within
the data section, or embedded into its own section within the object file.
For documentation that is queried during the Asterisk runtime, it will be
accessed directly from this module.  In other words, when it comes to
"core show application Foo", very little changes from the current method.
There is no XML to be parsed; the text is simply displayed.  The only big
change will be that the documentation embedded into the module may be
in multiple languages.

The documentation still exists in the source directory in XML format and may
be exported to other formats (Postscript, PDF, Docbook, etc.).  So all that
we'd really be changing at this stage is where the documentation is stored
within the source; instead of the documentation stored as a string within a
C source file, the documentation will be stored within an external XML file.
Only at compile/link time will the documentation be added directly to the
module.

This makes it easy to export the documentation to other formats, while at
the same time, not dramatically increasing the amount of processing the
Asterisk binary needs to do in order to display documentation.  I think that
provides a nice balance between being able to do more things with the
embedded documentation (and making the documentation easier to update
and internationalize) and ensuring that there is no confusion or extra
processing required by the Asterisk binary to display its own documentation.

--
Tilghman