[asterisk-dev] [policy] Bug Tracker Workflow Discussion

Leif Madsen leif.madsen at asteriskdocs.org
Thu Jul 10 13:32:35 CDT 2008

Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> On Thursday 10 July 2008 11:05:30 Johansson Olle E wrote:
>> 10 jul 2008 kl. 16.40 skrev Leif Madsen:
>>> Performance issues will only be considered for the
>>> release branch if they are considered significant, and should be
>>> approved by the maintainers.
>>>
>>> If there is ever a question about what should be included in the
>>> release
>>> branch, the maintainers should be allowed to make the decision.
>> What's the election procedure of the "maintainers" ?
>>
>> Maybe this should be changed to "Digium" to be more clear about the
>> current state of affairs.
>
> There are several people now that I would consider to be maintainers who
> are not employees of Digium, and some others who are working towards
> that goal.  Much of the development is done by mutual assent.  We all get
> along to some degree or another, or else it wouldn't be much of a community.

To elaborate, I'm not sure there is really a formal procedure to elect
maintainers of a particular branch. It seems to be pretty informal
anytime I've seen it happen. Usually along the lines of someone spending
significant amounts of time in one area of code, and someone like
Russell in IRC saying, "Hey, great work Jimmy on app_queue! You can be
the maintainer of that portion of code :)".

I guess the official maintainer of the branches (1.2, 1.4, 1.6.x) is
probably Russell who appears to get final veto power, however I've seen
a few patches getting discussed on this list as to whether they should
be merged into a branch, and that community input is taken into account
of the decision.

Hopefully I haven't put too many words into Russell's mouth though. This
is just how I have seen things work.

--
Leif Madsen
http://www.leifmadsen.com