[asterisk-dev] XML documentation of apps/functions/the_rest_of_the_world

Brandon Kruse bkruse at digium.com
Tue Jul 8 13:28:23 CDT 2008

That wouldn't be a problem in the sense that it's XML, it is still parsed
by the language= attribute, after the nodes are parsed into a group by
application/function name. We are still defining the spec/schema, but
I think that a few more languages would not be bad at all.

It is important to remember that in doing this, the only thing that grows
is the external documentation.xml (which can be trimmed on build time based
on a specific language), and the source. The modules/resources/application no longer
have that const char *, which does decrease the size of the modules compiled.

I would also suggest that this move isn't just for a new cool way to get
the documentation out, but rather that it can be used for so much more.

One thing russell mentioned is the extensions.conf validiation, and the
easy way to add new language support for specific things.

The other major advantage IS having all this in XML, which can be easily
converted and manipulated in docbook, and other applications that can find
use for this specific XML blob that ALSO defines exactly what the application
is.