[asterisk-dev] XML documentation of apps/functions/the_rest_of_the_world

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Tue Jul 8 12:46:00 CDT 2008

On Tuesday 08 July 2008 12:29:12 Russell Bryant wrote:
> Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> > XML is fine for documentation, but I'd prefer to see it parsed at build
> > time, not at runtime.  There is no good reason to shift that parsing to
> > runtime.
>
> How would that work for external modules?

The data is stored in exactly the same place -- inside the module.  The only
possible difference is that the language stored within the module for the
documentation could be different.

> Also, keep in mind that this metadata will likely get used for much more
> than rebuilding the original blog of documentation.  This gives us a
> step toward being able to do much more advanced dialplan validation at
> load time.

I'd be interested to see how you're going to express that grammar within an
XML file before I make a judgement on that, keeping in mind that some options
have single arguments, multiple arguments, multiple arguments with alternative
delimiters, and optional arguments.

--
Tilghman