[asterisk-dev] Voicemail Call Transfer

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Mon Jul 7 09:11:44 CDT 2008

I work for a local telephone company. We're paying a company for some
changes to be made to the Asterisk voicemail application. Most of the
changes are to the call tree so it behaves like our old system (so we
don't annoy our customers who have built up extensive muscle memory).

However, one feature seems like it may be useful to others and I'm
wondering if there's interest in accepting a patch upstream. The feature
is to allow users to press a key during the greeting to get forwarded
somewhere else. For example, I might say in my greeting, "This is
Richard Laager. I'm not here. To try my cell phone, press 1. Otherwise,
leave me a message." If the caller presses 1, the system places a call
to my cell phone and ties it to the caller. This gives the impression
the call was forwarded. (Our understanding is it can't actually be
forwarded because there's no way to send a "flash" through a channel
bank.)

The key mappings are currently obtained via ODBC.

Does this seem like a feature that you'd like upstream? If so, from the
above description, are there any caveats we might want to address
preemptively before we submit a patch?

Right now, I'm asking about the feature in concept, not the particulars
of the patch, because we're going to have to expend effort (= $$$) to
separate these changes out from our other changes, so I'd rather only do
that if people are interested.

Richard