[asterisk-dev] Locking, coding guidelines addition

Vincent Nonnenmacher Vincent.Nonnenmacher at agentspace.com
Fri Jul 4 04:39:53 CDT 2008

>----- "Grey Man" <greymanvoip at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  You could always move the signalling into managed code (.Net, Java
>>  etc.) and make use of an existing tried and true reference counting
>>  and memory management infrastructure. The RTP/audio processing would
>>  have to stay in the C runtime to keep the ~1ms timing granularity.
>>
>>  I know this will go down like a lead balloon but thought I'd mention
>>  it anyway. It is worth noting that some operating systems components
>>  are now being written in managed code so if it's performant enough
>>  there it would be performant enough for signalling in Asterisk. Not
>>  to mention saving re-inventing the wheel.
>
>I don't want to start a language war, but we do find ourselves reinventing
>a lot of things that are provided for you in C++.  However, converting the
>code base to C++ is not really feasible or worthwhile.

even not starting the nonsense langage
(flame)war, it still are room for consideration
of other OSS projects like :

http://www.cse.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE-overview.html

That is used by 3Com on its high end VCX systems.

or even the much used apache portable library
that use a LOT of thread safe routines.

http://apr.apache.org/docs/apr/1.3/modules.html

that us used by millions of users in a lot of OSS projects

Vincent Nonnenmacher
AgentSpace
2 ch des prés
38240 Meylan