[asterisk-dev] Locking, coding guidelines addition

Grey Man greymanvoip at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 07:16:17 CDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 10:37 PM, Russell Bryant <russell at digium.com> wrote:
> I've got some of this done.  However, making the reference count _truly_
> correct across the entire code base is a far more daunting task than I
> have attempted to complete, given the pervasiveness of the ast_channel
> data structure.  Deciding what to do about this is something that I need
> to bring up in a separate discussion.

You could always move the signalling into managed code (.Net, Java
etc.) and make use of an existing tried and true reference counting
and memory management infrastructure. The RTP/audio processing would
have to stay in the C runtime to keep the ~1ms timing granularity.

I know this will go down like a lead balloon but thought I'd mention
it anyway. It is worth noting that some operating systems components
are now being written in managed code so if it's performant enough
there it would be performant enough for signalling in Asterisk. Not to
mention saving re-inventing the wheel.

Regards,

Greyman.