[asterisk-dev] Rhino incorporating into zaptel tree

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Sat Jan 26 20:10:21 CST 2008

On Saturday 26 January 2008 19:11:29 Bob wrote:
> I have to ask the question to the group.
>
> Why would anyone consider adding our (Rhino) code to zaptel when they
> compete with Digium who maintains the repo?

So there's one source everybody can go to to get the code?  So that future
changes that may break your code are caught quickly before a release?

> We would still be responsible for maintaining our code. I'm pretty sure
> that this move would not get us any help from the community. We maintain
> and support our stuff very well today. Thank you.
>
> We have all filed the required disclaimers with Digium. There are no legal
> issues. We've submitted several patches to zaptel and they have never met
> the tree.

What I've heard is that the patches do not meet CODING-GUIDELINES.  Could you
comment on this?

> We've based our drivers on the works of Mark Spencer and Jim Dixon. Their
> names are in the credits of everything we publish that we borrowed this
> way. The favor has never been returned. We don't care. I personally think
> it is cool to see my code checked in. channum lol
>
> Tzafrir Cohen and Oren Pelled from Xorcom are the only people I know that
> have successfully submitted hardware specific code into zaptel that was not
> Digium. Those guys are soldiers of this project, and spend WAY too much
> time keeping their code in there. They wonder why I don't contribute, and
> all I can say to them is that I sleep, and they don't. They are now
> responsible for more than %50 of the code.

Or more precisely, they sleep when you're awake.  Being on the other side of
the world (and daylight hours) tends to have that effect.

> This topic has been scuttled around in private conversations for a while.
> I've never had any direct communications from anyone at Digium. There is
> actually a bug report from someone here at Rhino that worked here for a
> couple of weeks on this subject.
>
> We are not Chris Lyman. If you want us to take the word "asterisk" off of
> everything that we sell, just tell us and we will. As mentioned previously
> in this rant, we credit everyone we should. Often.
>
> We have no intentions of becoming part of zaptel until someone can tell us
> why it would be good to do so. We have packages in most Linux distros and
> soon BSDs.
>
> We like the fact that zaptel is a trademark that is not held by digium.
>
> Are there any reasons to put our package into zaptel?

The objection I've always heard was that the code was not up to the spec, to
the published CODING-GUIDELINES document.  Could you submit a patch on
bugs.digium.com?  I'm sure we could point out a few areas where you could
improve, though I personally have never seen the proposed patches.  If your
patches meet with tzafrir's (and others') approval, in terms of quality, I
don't see any reason why they couldn't be merged.

--
Tilghman